What is SEO?
The practice of rendering a website and online store attractive for search engines such as Google and Bing, to identify, crawl, and classify to turn up in search engine results is referred to as SEO. SEO is a technique used by website owners to increase the number of visits to their pages. Having more website visits normally translates to even more users, which implies more income and profit, so SEO optimisation can be very profitable and therefore, worthwhile.
Types of SEO
Now it is important to know the types of SEO to understand them better. There are 3 types of SEO which we have mentioned below:
White-HAT SEO :-
The expression "white hat SEO" applies to SEO strategies that follow the terms of service of the main search engines, such as Google. White hat SEO, in particular, means any activity that boosts your search engine rankings on a SERP while upholding the credibility of your site and adhering to the user agreement of the browsers.
Grey-HAT SEO :-
Most people think that grey-hat SEO is something between white-hat SEO and black hat SEO which is not true. However, it is difficult to determine according to John Andrews. According to him, it is the usage of strategies that are ill-defined by Google's written material, which rational people may differ about how the methods support or contradict Google's established guidance. It is somewhat confusing to understand.
Black-HAT SEO :-
Black SEO refers to a series of techniques for improving a site's or page's rankings by violating the search engines' terms and conditions. Black Hat SEO is most widely described as abhorrent conduct that, despite being unethical, can help a page rank higher in a SERP. It's critical to understand that using Black Hat SEO techniques and methods will result in your site being blocked from search results, effectively removing you from the Web's top traffic referral sources.
Why is SEO Important?
Do you know that most people are likely to click on the top 5 results appearing in the web browser after searching for their queries? You might be aware of that. It is the work of SEO. People perceive search engines, and finding a website that appears among the top results for the keywords the consumer is looking for improves the website's value.
So SEO is important because it increases the visibility of the website, which implies more visitors and chances to turn potential into consumers. It's also a great way to raise brand recognition, develop relationships with clients, and establish oneself as a knowledgeable and reliable authority in your profession.
To understand it in layman’s terms, there are two major objectives of SEO. The first is to assist you in determining what people are looking for on the internet so that you might provide high-quality content to meet their needs. The second goal is to assist you in developing a website that search results can find, index, and comprehend. Furthermore, strong SEO practices are a perfect way to improve a website's consistency by rendering it more user-friendly, quicker, and smoother. SEO becomes even more important when you are running an eCOmmerce store. SEO for eCommerce is an easy and sustainable way to maintain organic traffic of the website.
SEO Techniques to improve your google ranking
As we know that SEO is important but what are the strategies that can help you to rank your store in the top position? You might be looking for the answer and here in this section, we are going to focus on that. So without any ado, let’s discover all the SEO strategies.
1. Keyword Research :-
The very first thing which is important to get your website on the SERP is Keyword. A keyword is one of the strongest foundations of SEO. Now you must know what keyword is, why it is needed and how it helps our website. To understand it in a better way we have broken down the whole process into different parts. Below we are going to cast light on it one by one.
- Keyword - A keyword is a term or expression that users use to identify what they've been hunting for on the internet. When a user types keywords into search engines such as Google, Bing and then presses the "Search" button. The search engine returns with a list of results pages depending on what it feels would be the most appropriate results for the keyword they looked at. Let us understand it via example, the person who wants to buy a phone would type smartphones, the smartphone here is our keyword.
- Need for Keyword Research :- Now comes the next question which is why there is a need for keyword research. So the answer is without a proper keyword you would be lost. The first phase of the SEO method is to conduct keyword analysis. Without proper keywords, you won’t be able to rank your website. On the contrary, if you have the right keyword then you can bring more traffic. To get this, you need to conduct proper keyword research.
- Keywords to Use -
There are types of keywords such as short tail keyword, longtail keyword, and based on search intent. Let’s understand it in detail. Keywords that seem to be two words or fewer are known as short-tail keywords. This contains abbreviations such as "SEO." The example of short-tail keywords is chairs, smartphones, and much more. Long-tail keywords are those that are over two words long but less than four to five words. “Key phrases” is another term for long-tail keywords. Best mobile phones, best home chairs are examples of long-tail keywords.
Long-tail keywords are typically easier to rank for than short-tail keywords. The third thing is based on the user’s intention. There are three types of user’s intention like informational, navigational, and commercial intent. As the name suggests, informational intent is for users who are looking for information. The next is navigational intent when users want to redirect on some site. Lastly, the commercial intent, when users are certain about buying. Then comes local keywords. Local keywords are great for the people who want to target a particular location near their locality. Local SEO is the best way to fulfil this goal of targeting local audiences.
- Keyword Optimisation - The act of mastering the use of keywords on your site, webpages, product sites, or blog entries so that you really can appear in Google search results for them is known as keyword optimisation. In simple words, it entails learning what keywords should be used, where to use them, when and how to use them and how much to use them effectively.
- How to do Keyword Research - It is the most important part of keyword research once you know what keyword research is you have to master the art of doing it in the right way. The how-to part is divided into four aspects which are search volume, keyword fit, commercial intent, and competition. There are many tools available in the market which provide a detailed report about all these aspects. It is always better to do keyword research using tools such KWFinder, Semrush, and much more.
2. On-Site SEO Tactics :-
Now you know all about the keyword research, once you are done with the keyword part, the next thing is to focus on the on-site SEO. This covers all of the SEO strategies that are under your direct supervision. There are activities you can do on your store or blog to make search engines fully comprehend your whole site, as well as each particular website and product listing.
- Meta Title and Description - Meta title and description plays an important role in SEO. In search engine rankings, the title of your website or webpage appears as meta titles. Meta titles can be no more than 50-60 characters long. If you go past the character cap, users would not be capable of reading the whole title. On the other hand, the description conveys the purpose of your website.
The meta summary appears under any meta title in search engine results. The length of your meta definition should be between 150 and 160 characters. Keep it within the limit, so that users can read it.
Now the next thing is you need to optimise your meta tiles by adding keywords to them. It would be wise to use keywords at the starting of the meta title. Now add at least two keywords in the meta description. Don’t go overboard as it will make the description spammy and search engines don’t like it.
- Heading Tags - Next to focus on the Heading tags or H tags. It should be included on any page on the website, including the homepage, product page, and blog entries. These tags divide the content of a page and help the reader to navigate. H tags begin with H1, which is the page's title; H2, which ought to be subheadings; H3, which can be used with less relevant subheadings; and so on.
Splitting up the material with headings not only makes it easier for readers to browse the web, but it also makes it easier for search engines to do so. Also, don’t forget to add keywords in starting headings.
- Introduction - The next thing is to make an introduction charming by adding the primary keyword in the blog post or product page. The closest your keyword is the more weight it can get from search engines.
- Site Load Speed - Site load speed should not be overlooked in any case. Users find the website irritating that takes time to load. The site should load fast, if it is taking time, users will most likely exit it. Now the thing is if there is any way to improve the site speed. Yes, there are many ways. The first thing is to lower the image size. Another thing is to use video that is hosted on another site. Further, remove all the extra plugins and apps.
- Page Slug - The next approach is to optimise the slug. Before jumping on that, let’s understand what a slug is. It is the section that comes after the domain. The slug will be built automatically when you establish a new website, product page, or blog entry page, but instead of using it, update it to the main keywords. Also, keep them short and use hyphens to separate words.
- Add Blog - Adding a blog to your website is a smart SEO strategy because it offers you more ways of using keywords, which means you'll get more chances to score with them. It also increases the chances of guests landing on your platform, resulting in increased traffic. It also allows you to connect to other sites on your website, resulting in a network of internal connections that search engines can use to learn more about your site and how the pages are related to one another.
- Add Images - Images are the greatest way to allure prospects. It helps you in grabbing visitor attention. Not just it, they help to break the content and make it appealing in the eyes of a visitor. Now the next thing you need to keep in mind that don’t use too many images, plus always optimise it. You don’t want to affect your site speed.
- Add Related Videos - Including custom videos to your blog posts, particularly when attempting to rank a blog entry for a term where the existing top posts don't even have an embedded video, may help you get the position one on search engines. It is a good approach to rank, You can add welcome videos on the homepage, FAQ videos, and much more. But make sure it won’t weigh your site down and don’t add too many videos.
- Internal Links - When you link one content from your site to another content on your site, you help your site earn more time from visitors. The more time he will spend on your suite, the more relevant your site appears to the search engines. This is why internal linking is a good approach but doesn't link to irrelevant content.
- External Links - Trying to link to other websites from your website or online shop will help you rank higher in search engines. When referring to other websites, you're simply reminding search engines that you're linked to or associated with them in a certain way, which they take into account. Linking to low-quality or spammy pages can have a detrimental effect on your SEO. Always link to trusted or credible websites.
- Optimise Anchor Text - Anchor text is text that contains your goal keywords when connecting internal or external links on your blog or site. If you will use an anchor text on a keyword and content similar to your keyword then it will clarify to search engines what your content is about.
- Include Alt Text to Image - If your photos can't load for any purpose, alt text aka alternative text displays a description to your guests. Alt-text is also relevant since it is the photo definition that would be read aloud to those who use screen readers. Not only is it good for Seo, but it's also critical for usability. So always add alt text to an image. Also, try to use keywords in the alt text.
- Avoid Duplicate Keyword Targeting - When generating keyword-targeted content for your website, don't make different posts or pages that target the very same keyword. Don’t target the same keyword on different content, it will make your site spammy and confuses the search engines.
- Avoid Excessive Keyword Stuffing - The next thing is to avoid excessive keyword stuffing. Use it in appropriate quantities, don’t make it look like spammy content. As a general rule, your keyword should account for 1 per cent to 3 per cent of the overall word count on your website, so try to stay within that range. When you use the keyword very much, it's known as "keyword stuffing," and is considered spammy among search engines and won't be rewarded.
- Word Count - Know that the search engines love the detailed content. So try to include lengthy blogs on your site. It is said that search engines don’t index pages that has less than 300 words, so try to include more than 300 words to get indexed. The other important thing is quality. It's not necessary to have a large word limit for SEO purposes. Prioritise the accuracy of the material over the number of words in the document.
- Rich Snippet - It is also known as structured data. It helps search engines identify key elements of your content and convert them into rich snippets. Rich snippets appear on search results as a separate box of material that contains more detail than the usual meta title and definition, making them stand out to users and indicating that Google values the content.
- Use Content for Skimmers - Search engines know that most of the readers are lazy, they won’t read everything and those users are skimmers. If you will add short paragraphs, headings, call to action, numbered list, and much more then it will engage a user. From an SEO standpoint, skimmers who remain on your sites for a long time are almost as useful as interested readers, so style your information in a way that maintains skimmers engaged, amused, and on your pages.
- Include Number, Brackets, and Numbers - Figures, dates, and brackets attract the eye, and simply including this little information may be the difference between a searcher clicking on your SERP result over the other. So give them a shot.
3. Off-Site SEO Tactics
Many of the SEO strategies that you don't have a full influence on are classified as off-site Seo services. It is actually to tell search engines that the site is valuable and has a reputation. Off-site SEO may also provide a factor that is dependent on visitor interaction. Bounce rates, page views, time on site, and other visitor experience metrics tell search engines that the site is interesting and should be exposed to more people. Let’s understand all these factors in detail.
- Add HTML Sitemap to Google Console - The very first thing you need to do is submit your sitemap to the Google search console. Now if you don't know what it is and how to do it. Then here we will explain it. A sitemap is a directory of all of the sites on the web. As there are many other websites out there and every day new ones being launched, submitting the sitemap aids Google about what they are supposed to be indexed. As Google is the most popular search engine that’s why it is important to submit your Google Search Console. Now the next question is how to do it. The answer is pretty simple, just visit the Google Search Console, you will get all guidelines in layman’s terms.
- Generate Backlinks - This is among the most crucial off-site SEO strategies you can use. When one site connects to yours, this is known as a backlink. It is basically to give the search engine a signal that another website is vouching for you. Backlinks are crucial to your progress in the SERPs, and obtaining them is a must. Even if your site is fully SEO-optimised and has excellent content, if you don't have backlinks, it will affect your rankings. Another important factor is getting backlinks from reputable sites. If you get backlinks from sites such as gambling, spam, or more that are not considered in the eyes of search engines then it won’t do any benefit to you. Try to obtain backlinks from high-authority, reliable, well-established, and credible websites. The next question is how to get backlinks. The first approach you can try to be the source. If you have original statistics, and data on your website then people will link to you. The other thing is to create content that is relatable to people. Guest post is another good approach to get backlinks.
- Reduce Bounce Rate - Bounce rate is the thing search engines hate the most. When a user vist the site but within few seconds he exits the site without doing anything is called bounce rate. It means the content on your website is not suitable for user’s needs. So it is important to keep the bounce rate lower and gives an impression to search engines that all the content on your website is relevant. To minimise the bounce rate, always target the right keywords. Don’t add too many pop-ups as it can be annoying to prospects. When the users first land on the site, the content they will see is known as above-the-fold content. It should be engaging and pleasing to the customer. Moreover, the website should be easily scannable to the user. Include engaging videos and images to connect with the customers.
- Enhance Onsite Time - Now, it is the time users spend on their site, it should be more. The more time the visitor will spend on your website, the more value it will create in the eyes of search engines. The techniques to improve or enhance the onsite time are no different than mentioned above. Other than this, you can add blog posts for readers who love to read. Further, you can build polls and quizzes to draw the user's attention. Another important approach is adding feedback or a review section on the site. Also, you can create forums, in case users come across any problem, they can find a solution on that forum.
- Enhance Multiple Pageviews - Enhancing pageviews means you are working on things that will result in more traffic. When a guest comes to the website, page views per session corresponds to how often sites they see during their visit. When a visitor visits several pages in a single session, it indicates that they are actively engaging with your web, which tells browsers that the content on your site is important. There are ways that visitors find it interesting and help you to get multiple pageviews. The first approach is to make your site easy to navigate. Further, you can include Call to Actions buttons, it helps in drawing the attention of users. Do not forget to add internal links, it keeps the visitors on your site. Finally, your site should work properly on smartphones as most users prefer mobile phones.
How to track SEO Progress
Assume that you have applied all these tactics to your store but how will you know that it is working or not? For this, you need to keep track of the SEO metrics. Start it by keeping track of the website traffic, use Google Analytics to check the website traffic. The next thing is to keep an eye on which keywords you’re ranking. Use Serpwatcher or any other relevant tool to get detailed reports about your keyword. Then it is important to check website authority from time to time, Ahrefs is a good tool for that.
That’s all! This is our full catch on the SEO strategies that can help to rank your store on SERP. No doubt every store owner wants to be on search engines’ top pages but not everybody can achieve it. Because there are so many things to look over and dealing with on our own can be a lot for someone who has a store to manage and a product to sell. Considering this, you can hire an SEO agency, they will do all the heavy work on your behalf. On that note, RVS Media LTD. is one of the best SEO companies in the UK that can help your store rank on search engines.
So what is stopping you now? Go and give it a chance and let us know all about your reaction in the comments section.
Ready to get started?
To check what we can do with your business and eCommerce store, get in touch.
With many delighted clients in the UK and across the world, our diverse projects are spread across a broad range of sectors and niche markets.