Have you ever noticed how people abandon websites that take more time to load? It is a common practice. Have you ever realised that people are no more interested in downloading more and more apps into their smartphones? The honeymoon period of smartphones and apps has depleted and people look forward to smart and junk free work. That is when PWA came into existence.
Progressive Web Application (PWA), the term was first talked about by Google, 3-4years back, in 2015. The original motive of launching this platform was to diminish app fatigue and create an upgraded website. PWA can create an enhanced version of the website that functions as a native app of your phone.
Ecommerce companies are diverting towards PWA websites because of their higher conversion rates. It helps in achieving higher searchability of the app and offers a better customer experience.
All the major eCommerce brands like Alibaba, MakeMyTrip, Uber or Jumia has deviated towards PWA and has already launched their PWA enabled websites. The interaction and conversion rates of all these big brands have multiplied by three to four times. The web apps are the new trend because they are much simpler to use as compared to apps.
Magento has accepted this Progressive Web Application platform well and has announced its PWA studio. This studio is a set of tools that help in maintaining and developing a PWA enabled Magento 2 storefront.
It is expected that Magento PWA studio will soon take over the top position in the mobile web.
How PWA is different from native apps?
- The basic difference lies in their language. The standard web language of PWA enables to run it on web browsers without any installation. PWA creates a web icon on the screen of the smartphone which is a shortcut to the home screen of the website.
- Better internet discoverability and an advanced loading experienced are two most important features of the PWA icon that differentiates it from an app. What makes it more appealing is its offline availability.
- It is expected that PWAs will replace many Android and iOS apps in the near future because it has enough strength to improve the platform of mobiles.
- The shell architecture of a PWA is totally different from a native app and it takes very less time to load.
The expansion of the PWA community.
The Magento PWA was rolled out in 2018. Merchants and developers use different tools to build and maintain their ecommerce storefronts to achieve app-like functionality.
Magento works on the principle of extensibility and PWA studio adheres to it. It enables a framework that allows ecommerce sites adding new functionalities and capabilities. The framework is an ideal choice if you upgrade your interface continuously or keep on adding products and pages.
The PWA studio framework of Magento includes three primary tools:
- A PWA-buildpack: It is a development tool store for a Magento PWA storefront. The tools include PWADevserver, Magento Resolver, MagentoRootsComponentsPlugin, Magento-layout-loader etc.
- Peregrine: It is the set of UI components for a Magento PWA. Peregrine helps frontend developers to take a hold on components like layout handler, root components, product lists, price displays etc.
- Venia: It is a conceptual proof, a demo; built using the PWA studio tools. The demo showcases all the available functions, workflow and pages. The conceptual proof is regularly updated because it’s still early in development.
Apart from these three primary features, the studio boasts four core features as well:
- It is a flexible platform that allows you to personalize content and play with local preferences.
- It allows innovative commerce and CMS theming to take charge.
- It is a set of purposeful tools that helps for debugging, fast prototyping and productive feedback.
- The component architecture of the PWA is modularized which helps in driving opportunities for extension resellers.
Why PWA studio is favourable for your business?
Magento PWA studio offers you tools that help you to create mobile-friendly, fast and reliable websites. You ought to know these basic rules in order to work with Magento PWA studio tool.
- Application shell: It is a PHTML file that serves as a basis for HTML. This file is curated and developed when the project starts and is rarely edited. It serves as the basic user interface structure.
- Service worker: This is a script running in the background. It helps in caching and resource retrieval.
- Component Data binding: It is the way data flows between the source and UI component. These data binding patterns help progressive web applications in connecting dynamic data with the user interface.
- GraphQL: An ideal alternative to REST endpoints, GraphQL can be defined as the service layer of the service and the data query language of the client.
- CSS modules: The modular and reusable CSS styles make it possible to develop component with styles.
- Client states, reducers and actions: A web application is managed and handled by these three concepts.
- Loading and offline states: Both of these states must be handled by progressive web applications only.
- Container extensibility: You can re-use or alter your container by writing extensible containers.
- Performance patterns: The performance of the progressive web app can be boosted with the help of many strategies and patterns available.
- Root components and routing: DOM node is the root application of the root the components. It is the ability to map a URL pattern.
The PWA is transforming the web world rapidly and is making it more user-friendly. Magento PWA studio is the upcoming big thing in the mobile web world. With so many interesting and attractive features in its pocket, it is not a big deal.
Magento PWA Studio is out
Update your eCommerce store with PWA features.